The Grave: a terroir naturally suited to the vine.
the Alpine foothills near the arch,
is characterized by a natural landscape
of striking originality: the “Grave”.
The Grave extending over a large area
about 6,500 hectares
in Friuli Venezia Giulia,
between the provinces of Udine and Pordenone,
formed by large alluvial fans
the rivers Meduna, Cellina and Tagliamento.
Over thousands of years
they have deposited huge amounts
of limestone and dolomite,
torn the mountain by the force of the water
and dragged downstream on their bed.
The whole rests on a plain alluvial soil,
coarse in the northern part,
more minute as the rivers
continue their course,
until you get near the coast.
The mountains on one side, which,
in addition to having created these lands,
protect them from the cold northern winds,
and near the Adriatic Sea,
produce a climate-friendly
the cultivation of the vine.
The quality of a wine depends
by some essential factors:
the nature of the soil, exposure,
the climate and the vine,
elements that are present in the Grave
and that undoubtedly contribute
to a quality wine production.
The vast expanse of stony Grave
in fact has two positive effects for the screw:
during the day reflects heat and light
required for the maturation of the grapes;
returns in the night heat
accumulated in the most sunny hours,
thereby maintaining constant
This influence is especially important
in the nights of late summer because it allows
to prolong the harvest season
getting more sugary grapes
and with a greater endowment of flavors and fragrances.
Not surprisingly, more than a century ago,
growers used cover of stones
funds of their vineyards,
thus reproducing the characteristics conditions
the land of the Grave.
Roveredo in Piano: ancient forest of oaks.
in the municipality of Roveredo in Piano,
namely forest of oaks, from which it takes its name,
Today residential center at the foot of the Alps
in the province of Pordenone,
date back to prehistoric times,
it belongs to a tradition,
widespread in all Grave at that time,
of burial mounds;
additional elements such as the discovery
some characteristics of Celtic burials
and brick fragments, rings, brooches
and other objects of Roman,
suggest that a first settlement
as early as 115 BC 7 In A.D.
with the establishment by Augustus,
first Roman emperor, of 11 Italian regions,
Roveredo was under the town of Aquileia,
in the X Regio, called “Venetia et Histria”.
The findings suggest an immense prairie,
crossed by a branch of the Cellina river
where the wood, especially oak,
natural shelter offered subsequently,
in the last years of the Roman Empire.
In the Middle Ages the settlement
was divided into two centers:
the first, “Roveredum Sancti Avocati”,
was subject to the jurisdiction of the Templars
and was centered on the current square;
the second, “Villa Roboreti”,
was subject to the jurisdiction of the Counts of Porcia.
The history of these territories
is marked by certain dates:
in 1499 broke a territorial dispute
between Venice and the Ottoman Empire
and the latter moved their troops in Friuli,
Venetian land, looting
numerous towns, including Roveredo.
THE PARISH CHURCH
OF SAINT BARTOLOMEO
Designed by Antonio
and Stefano Marks Stevenà,
begun in 1854, completed in 1872
and consecrated in 1912.
Neoclassical façade in stone
and exposed brick walls,
with four ionic semicolumns,
surmounted by an entablature
that welcomes the pediment;
in the sacristy a pretty canvas
dating back to the early eighteenth century
attributed to the painter Francesco Trevisani
represents the Holy Night.
The ceiling of the church is decorated
with a great nineteenth-century fresco
depicting the Last Judgement
the painter Giuseppe de Lorenzi,
who also signed
the twelve monochrome panels on the walls.
THE MADONNA OF LOVERA
On the way to
the municipality of Fontanafredda,
this capital frescoed
recalls the long, menacing presence
wolves in the municipality.